Monday, June 27, 2016

My mind was blown at "Librarianpalooza"

I had a plan.  Really, I did.  When I found out that I was being given the chance to attend the American Library Association annual conference 2016 (#alaac16) in Orlando for one day, I was so excited.  I poured through the programs and speakers that would be there on my day.  I chose three programs I wanted to attend. I went through the exhibitor list and wrote down my top 5 must see booths.  I was PREPARED!!



Upon arrival at the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando, I was amazed at the size of the place.

This is the South building.  It is the most distinctive building and catches your eye as soon as you see it.




The West Building, where the event was held, is a whopping 1,103,538 square feet! This photo doesn't give the West building credit.


I wish I had thought to take a photo of the exhibit hall.  When I walked into the exhibit hall, I felt like a country bumpkin seeing the big city for the first time.  Everywhere there was something to look at.

I managed to make it to two of the three programs I had chosen.I really wish I hadn't missed the Raspberry Pi programming one.  It was my #1 choice but it was not in the main conference area.  I would have had to take a shuttle and would have missed my ride back home.

The Active Shooter program was very good.  It is sad that we have to be prepared for something like this but I feel better knowing that I have some preparation now.

We headed into the Exhibit Hall next. Imagine walking into a room that is FILLED with aisle upon aisle of your favorite thing in the whole world.  This was me.




It took me about an hour to get through the first aisle of booksellers, authors, and publishers.  It was BEAUTIFUL!!!  I started at the last row because I wanted to find the booth where my friend Patty's book was displayed.  I was so happy when I finally found it!!


After grabbing some lunch and seeing some more exhibits, we headed to our next program, which was about Maker Spaces and other programs in the library.  Ninety minutes later, full of knowledge and ideas, we headed out to see what we would do next.  We decided to head towards the van and head home since two of the three who were traveling together were not feeling well.

My loot haul from the conference:


I would say that my first ALA conference was a great experience.  I am looking forward to putting what I learned into practice.

P.S.  To celebrate my return from the ALA conference, I am giving away one ebook written by one of the authors I met at the conference.  Enter here.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Retiring this blog

I am retiring my Blogger blogs.  Starting today, June 16, 2018 my blog posts will be found at  https://thislife225879410.wordpress.com