Sunday, July 14, 2013

My thoughts on eReaders vs. a physical book

When eReaders first came out, I was very reluctant to try one.  Like most people, I believed the hype that eReaders would kill the book, bring the publishing industry to a crashing halt, and make libraries obsolete. Instead, the eReader has actually been an enhancement. Instead of hurting the publishing industry, I think it has made it stronger and - in fact - cockier.  What I mean by this is the whole "price fixing" and the class action lawsuit that ensued.  As for making libraries obsolete, this has NOT happened.  The library that I work at is busier than ever.  Physical books are STILL being checked out and read.


The first ebook that I read was on the Kindle app on my iPhone. 
Each night, on this tiny screen, I read many, MANY books. I was hooked.  I would often have a print book and an ebook in progress at the same time.  I still do.  As convenient and portable as ebooks are, I still love the feel of a print book in my hand. I believe that there is room for both physical books and eReaders in this world.  One is not better than the other.  Here are some pros and cons for both:

                                          Physical Book

Pros                                                                            Cons
Easily lendable                                                           Bulky
Physically ownable                                                     Can be damaged
You can make notes in them                                      Uses up natural resources
                                                                                    Landfill fillers

                                               eBook

Pros                                                                            Cons
Portable                                                                       No physical ownership
Many books, one holder                                             Not easily lendable
Green (no trees involved)                                           Most cost the same as physical book
Don't take up much room

I know there are more Pros and Cons on both types of books. Feel free to leave your suggestions in the comments.

I will continue to use both ebooks and physical books. As a voracious reader, it gives me more options to read, which is always good.

Thanks for reading.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Retiring this blog

I am retiring my Blogger blogs.  Starting today, June 16, 2018 my blog posts will be found at  https://thislife225879410.wordpress.com